- Heading Down the Coast – https://t.co/vfV78vUsAY 2016-08-15
- RT @narratist: What you thought you understood about the world map is wrong https://t.co/JQNCD6YvXD 2016-08-15
- RT @theboozephiles: The Gin Fizz https://t.co/BdAZwsEsy2 https://t.co/o34om8I8Ka 2016-08-15
- This one's looking a bit better… #stainedglass https://t.co/UVaY0LmsB9 2016-08-15
- RT @lavermeer: Some precious additions to my personal library, thanks to friends at UofA Press! #books #reading https://t.co/v4FxICvEkT 2016-08-16
- #stainedglass from real life… Calypso bulbosa, Portland Island https://t.co/ZVgNe55VhX 2016-08-16
- RT @lavermeer: Review: Hanna’s Letter https://t.co/R6uB9US1sK https://t.co/97mrDFLCE4 2016-08-18
No, we are not taking Never for Ever out into the pacific (yet). But yes, I am heading south aboard a friend’s boat.
Ever since we managed to basically motor around Vancouver Island, I have been hankering to get back out “offshore” to see if it is something I actually want to do on my own. Well Northwest Passage, the Baltic 42 we did our circumnavigation on, is heading south next month to Zihuatanejo for a few years and they were looking for a hand for the “crappy”part down the west coast of the U.S. before they join up with the Baha Haha in San Diego. After a lot of humming and hawing I finally decided that — YOLO being the philosophy de jour — I might as well take advantage of the opportunity.
There are generally two options once you turn south after exiting the Strait of Juan de Fuca. One is to head offshore 20 miles or so and head strait to San Francisco. This is the most generally popular option because many of the ports available on the rugged Oregon coast are subject to weather and feature some of the roughest weather around — some say in the world. This means sailing 10-14 days straight. The other option, obviously, is to try and harbour hop down and sleep in a harbour most nights, hoping the weather allows getting in close to shore. At this point we are going to be trying for option 2, but I assume that option 1 is always available if the weather doesn’t cooperate.
After we leave San Francisco, which should be around 2 weeks after leaving Vancouver, we set sail again and make our way to San Diego which is another week away. That leg of the trip offers a lot more options for places to stop. So in a perfect world the trip should take around 3 weeks, with lots of hard sailing and tons of experience for me.
The tentative cast off date is September 1st, weather depending. I will likely fly out the day before and pick up a few personal provisions before board the boat. I haven’t yet decided if I will blog the whole trip or just post a summary when it’s all done. I guess that will be decided by just how much of interest actually happens.
—Captain Why #Posts
- RT @theboozephiles: The Reinbeer https://t.co/OsMzIL9W5D https://t.co/WiuQZpx4ck 2016-08-08
- RT @BC411_: Kitsilano Coast Guard base officially reopens https://t.co/n8n8ziDAhe #YVR 2016-08-08
- RT @narratist: Wow, I could stare at this map of ships for a long time https://t.co/HI4RqIEIks 2016-08-09
- Not minding the design; hating the execution. https://t.co/OsLRoz9CJe 2016-08-09
- RT @lavermeer: Is energy #deregulation a good idea? Here's my example. Cost of natural gas used (Jul/16): $3.18. Total natural gas bill: $6… 2016-08-09
- We three kings… #brothers https://t.co/j3z6NGASho 2016-08-09
- RT @lavermeer: Review: Goodbye Stress, Hello Life! https://t.co/mI2tb0Basp https://t.co/ZMDQXEFhCf 2016-08-11
- RT @TartanYachts: The Tartan 3400 offers strength, safety, and speed in one: https://t.co/YDbwKym6gE https://t.co/emnxnue3kM 2016-08-12
- Chinese-Caribbean … But apparently its actually Guyanese. #Mmmmm https://t.co/CTMtyfuWAL 2016-08-12
- #Greisbach https://t.co/BnwObZzQE9 2016-08-13
- Hiking around Coyote Lake Lodge #parkland #meadows https://t.co/6RYJak5jkl 2016-07-31
- RT @theboozephiles: The Miss L: a modern delight! #happybottoms https://t.co/GGVYQVhQTM https://t.co/7lJQ34bJjH 2016-08-01
- RT @AccessCopyright: In case you missed last week – 'Fix Canada’s copyright law before it puts publishers out of business' https://t.co/GsZ… 2016-08-03
- RT @lavermeer: Review: Reporter in Disguise https://t.co/vsNbA89rZQ https://t.co/PcWhcGbwKm 2016-08-05
- RT @theboozephiles: The French 75! Champagne anyone? https://t.co/0RuMPg09Mq #cocktails #classics https://t.co/iOKTLCdTc0 2016-08-05
- Elk Island striploin! And a cocktail or two… https://t.co/N7aDmQ6ko1 2016-08-05
- Elk Island #redchair https://t.co/tJJJOQgT0V 2016-08-05
- RT @lavermeer: So happy to see the City of Edmonton planting new #trees in Castle Downs and #Griesbach. Keep it up! #yeg 2016-08-06
- 2016 Route Roundup – https://t.co/YJbW3ImRtY 2016-07-25
- RT @YESSorg: Hey, #yeg! We are taking over the @TasteOfEdm charity booth. Stop by to play, learn, and enter to win a prize! https://t.co/2a… 2016-07-25
- RT @theboozephiles: The Old Fashioned! #Classiccocktail that tastes oh-so-good. https://t.co/lt9SXVIVE6 #happybottoms https://t.co/NFo5yt6E… 2016-07-26
- RT @HeritageForward: We've covered a lot #yegheritage buildings over last few months. Which ones would you like to see us feature next? htt… 2016-07-27
- RT @t8nmagazine: The August issue of @t8nmagazine is out this week. Check it out here https://t.co/0WJKbCQ6xj #stalbert #t8n #yeg 2016-07-27
- A weekend in the woods with the greater family. #brothers huh. https://t.co/KRCw4FSRFW 2016-07-30