- RT @GBechtelWriter: 2/3: . . . a free @CAAAlberta talk by @lavermeer on What Your Book's Editor Wants you to know ( https://t.co/izZrnFtubE )… 2017-02-19
- RT @GBechtelWriter: 3/3: …on Saturday, this month's @CAAAlberta workshop with @lavermeer: Seeing Your Book Through an Editor's Eyes (http… 2017-02-19
- RT @lavermeer: Review: A Day of Signs and Wonders https://t.co/u0T1jqEKtJ https://t.co/AbE7P70JOs 2017-02-21
- RT @EhAuthor: This is too cute not to share. #fantasy #MagicofStorytelling #art https://t.co/OWNUVAxekx 2017-02-21
- Kobo to launch subscriber service…
- Why "readability" isn't such a good thing… https://t.co/uwMzahcyY8 2017-02-22
- RT @historyepics: Some people say modern technology is making us more antisocial… https://t.co/IeVtvevDSV 2017-02-23
- Don't tease the tigers! https://t.co/neZgr7QDGb 2017-02-23
- RT @davecournoyer: We should probably stop referring to them as just private schools, they are publicly-subsidized private schools. #ableg… 2017-02-24
- WIN 2 @clippervacation r/t tix + 2 Nts @fairmontolympic + a @roaddogtours tour via @victoriabuzzes, RT to enter https://t.co/2tDm85gDhi 2017-02-24
- A short video on why you should consider exploring the PNW & chartering our sailboat, Never for Ever, this summer. https://t.co/9ji2ZWk3rx 2017-02-25
- A Tale of Two Videos – https://t.co/nyPU5EOmMe 2017-02-25
Nanaimo Yacht Charters has taken a brand new Lagoon 42 into its fleet — man that’s one beautiful boat, I really, really want to take it for a spin — and the owner has been busy trying to promote it with a Youtube Channel and a Facebook Page. One of the things he has done is shoot a few videos with Ian and Beth MacPherson, two of the principles over at NYCSS. Well, for those who don’t know it it, one of the ways I’ve made my living is as a graphic professional and frankly, the graphics on those videos were killing me. So since I needed to brush up on my After Effects skills anyway, this spurred me to offer to put together some intro’s and outro’s as a refresher that they could use. This 2 minute video was the result of that.
I also worked on some motion graphics for Never for Ever for my future movie-making efforts and finally posted a video round up of our sailing trip to the Broughtons on my Youtube Channel. It’s a work in progress but I bought a GoPro knock off and hope to do a lot more filming this year.
Then the owner of Water Dragon (the new Lagoon) contacted me to see if he could have a copy of the promo as well. After a bit of back and forth he also gave me the file for the Q & A video (sans intro since I shamefacedly admitted it was that which had spurred me to start editing video again) and used it as another project. I recut it, added a few flourishes, tried to fix the lighting and essentially learned a whole lot about how much I don’t know about Adobe Premiere.
Still, it looks ok and I think it actually is a great video for anyone who is tinkering with the idea of chartering. I certainly would have like to see something like this back when we started toying with the idea of learning to cruise. I really couldn’t believe how easy it was. So take a look. (If you’d like to see the original to compare the before and after, it can be found here.)
I am still screwing around with After Effects and, to a certain degree, Premiere trying to find the line between interesting and schlocky. Editing turns out to be the hardest part: keeping just enough elements to make your point and eliminating anything that serves no purpose.
This is a new/simpler version of an intro for Never for Ever videos:
Then I started working on something for Nanaimo Yacht Charters as learning project. I think it still needs some editing. The first is an intro. It runs 8 seconds but the one time I used it in a video I ended up cutting it to 6. The second is an outro, and I like it a lot more for its intended purpose.
And here is the first complete promo video I did for NYCSS.
- RT @tedgioia: Hollywood studio's 1927 map of 'international' shooting locations in California. https://t.co/R0OpLS0wyS https://t.co/GkK2nb… 2017-02-12
- RT @theboozephiles: Sometimes it's all about the standbys. Long Island Ice Tea https://t.co/5K3l9Y3Bdz 2017-02-13
- RT @theboozephiles: Mandarin Rum Cocktail https://t.co/NEOzh1sCTv https://t.co/QlRzkISP7B 2017-02-13
- Who knew homemade focaccia was so easy? And delicious! https://t.co/sO6EB7kZEK 2017-02-13
- RT @lavermeer: Review: Dark Side https://t.co/2K3Ihy8VyQ https://t.co/6a2HCXo84r 2017-02-13
- Happy Valentines Day everyone from Ernest and Bite! https://t.co/yx2shxIjBj 2017-02-14
- RT @DFO_Central: The Canadian Hydrographic Service has now released a series of new Electronic Navigational Charts to cover all of Chesterf… 2017-02-14
- RT @TheWaggoner: Did you know we sell our annual guides in duos and trios? https://t.co/r4zBAHJihS #pnw #boating #salishsea #pugetsound #m… 2017-02-14
- RT @tordotcom: Today's publishing news includes: storytime with @wilw, horrific writing advice, & dangerous reads from @grantdraws! https:/… 2017-02-15
- RT @tordotcom: Philip Pullman announces a #hisdarkmaterials "equel," a new trilogy which takes place alongside the original books: https://… 2017-02-15
- RT @historyepics: Giant Snail Attacking a Knight, c. 1400. https://t.co/RsgGuaGbMu 2017-02-15
- RT @DFO_CCG_Quebec: You like adventure and the marine community? Be one of us: job opportunity as marine aids technician (electrician) http… 2017-02-16
- RT @22_Minutes: We were fake news before it was cool. 2017-02-18
- Just watched ET for the 1st time. I have to say: World's Worst Mom! 2017-02-18
- RT @lavermeer: Whenever I #edit a contemporary novel, I'm reminded how handy the Cdn Oxford Dictionary is for styling profanity. #$%#!! #am… 2017-02-05
- RT @theboozephiles: Gagliardo https://t.co/oZJGFNBP3X https://t.co/amIHXYi9dD 2017-02-06
- RT @lavermeer: Review: Wonder Women https://t.co/C6sHGE17iD https://t.co/mwufDMYKZj 2017-02-06
- RT @lavermeer: Thought for the day: "If anybody tries to steal your ukulele let them take it." — A. Palmer #Tuesday #NotMonday #ukuleles 5 2017-02-07
- RT @Nanaimo_YCSS: https://t.co/3MDLPtaFyi https://t.co/rLzgGaa6pi 2017-02-07
- RT @DFO_NL: Photos of CCGS #EarlGrey escorting @ApolloFerry Feb. 6 & 7 across Belle Isle Strait. #CCG #Icebreaking https://t.co/Ed6mIQ6tFt 2017-02-08
- RT @gvicharbour: We've partnered w Clean Marine and @GeorgiaStraitBC for a one-day small marine oil cleanup course. Sign up: https://t.co/7… 2017-02-08
- @illustratedword https://t.co/JVy0Mmwj37 2017-02-08
- RT @lavermeer: So pleased to receive this #book by former colleague Geo Takach! Looking forward to #reading. #environment #academia #artsba… 2017-02-10
- RT @lavermeer: @BruceKeith Hugs are nice! 2017-02-10
- RT @copyeditors: The quickly disappearing art of copy editing. | https://t.co/s5itFVqiJX 2017-02-11
- Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains.
- RT @openculture: A for effort! https://t.co/YOSz4JlKV6 2017-02-11
- RT @LukaszukAB: Alberta was taken for granted by CPC for years. Recall TFWs, infrastructure funding, Expo 2017 bid, pipelines, health payme… 2017-02-11
I need to get back into the habit of retaining and retraining skills. So apropos of that I decided to revisit some of the video I shot while sailing last year in anticipation of the coming season. I have picked up a SJCam4000 (a GoPro knock-off) for doing some more filming so if I am going to be a big YouTube star I will need to get some fancy-ass graphics going.
That meant I needed to take a look at Adobe After Effects again. (Here is the last time I screwed with it.) Essentially After Effects is sort of the Photoshop of the video world. It allows one to do all sorts of fancy effects before moving the composition into Premiere or iMovie for the final cuts.
After a day’s work I didn’t end up doing anything fancy but it did get my mostly-rusted-shut skills a bit looser. So this is the AE composition (just the graphics) laid over a small video clip. I am thinking of using it, or something similar, as the intro to any new videos I make.
The real time consumer was getting all my files in shape. It’s a whole new game of file prep and organization…
An animated gif version..
- RT @theboozephiles: The Martini https://t.co/FFhYayPhug https://t.co/qFlGtQCzs8 2017-01-30
- RT @macewanbook: At 10AM, Pam Clark introduces her novel Kalyna, about the WWI internment of Ukrainian Canadians. #GlobalMacEwan https://t.… 2017-01-31
- @WalterdalePlays Withdraw the apology. There is no need to ever apologize for your art. https://t.co/Y19sgMLZ04 2017-01-31
- RT @artsproul: You shouldn't have backed down, this was to have been a colour blind interpretation: Walterdale cancels Othello https://t.co… 2017-01-31
- RT @efconnelly: Medieval bookmark: knot with attached cords, @FreeLibrary Lewis E 154, @pacscl @SIMS_Mss @GripTheRaven @CLIRHC #BiblioPhill… 2017-01-31
- RT @lavermeer: Looking forward to #reading CUP OF COFFEE! Thanks very much, @49thShelf and @ecwpress ! #hockey #photography #books #prize h… 2017-01-31
- RT @TyRoot: Production explained in one simple GIF. https://t.co/jjLvVdjYgu 2017-01-31
- RT @markcritch: Hey @DonaldJTrumpJr you're spreading #FakeNews. Sad. Shooter not Moroccan. Please delete. https://t.co/FnQws8R6wl 2017-01-31
- RT @CanadianForces: New flag and general officer appointments result in largest number of women in senior #CAF positions in history. https:… 2017-01-31
- RT @albertamags: AMPA is thrilled to welcome a stellar roster of speakers for the 2017 Alberta Magazines Conference. #abmags17 https://t.co… 2017-02-01
- RT @t8nmagazine: A little sweetness from us to you. Happy February, everyone! https://t.co/tsgl7KDMkC 2017-02-01
- RT @suddiraval: Take a minute to look at the brilliance of this street art. it's not immediately obvious but deeply saitisfying when it hit… 2017-02-01
- RT @albertamags: We're live! Registration for the 2017 Alberta Magazines Conference is now open. https://t.co/Qn9Wn7sNgx #abmags17 2017-02-02
- RT @AccessCopyright: We're re-inventing our offerings for universities & colleges and you can help us – here's how https://t.co/AHHgCD2POj 2017-02-02
- RT @Nanaimo_YCSS: Another new addition to our powerboat line up for this season. Scorpio is a Silverton 34 convertible – More room… http… 2017-02-03
- RT @djsantero: Huh. Man with dogs in his pockets walking his duck, which has shoes on https://t.co/DnMC01JNvX 2017-02-03
- RT @RRUCommCulture: Prof Geo Takach’s new book blends eco research and art https://t.co/eohLEcL0ha @RoyalRoads 2017-02-04
- RT @RoyalRoads: Fuel a lively discussion on Alberta with Dr Geo Takach at our Info Session & Learning Symposium in Edmonton on Feb 9 https:… 2017-02-04
- RT @TheIECA: IECA founding member Geo Takach’s new book Scripting the Environment explores arts-based forms of #EnvComm https://t.co/awci0u… 2017-02-04