- RT @theboozephiles: Red Moon Over Manhattan https://t.co/UQvzmSwnXR https://t.co/DQlu3aLEaP 2017-03-20
- RT @gvicharbour: We're hiring! We're looking for a full time communications assistant. All the details here: https://t.co/N6vhsGv5ds 2017-03-20
- RT @digitales_: In space, no one can hear you meow. Here are some retro sci-fi books with cats on the cover…because why not? https://t.co… 2017-03-21
- RT @Code_and_Effect: "The Rebrand Checklist: AgileStyle to Code and Effect" https://t.co/onURApJe6q by @AshleyJanssen on @LinkedIn 2017-03-21
- @scalzi You made me read reviews. I hate reading reviews. Now my day is ruined. I feel so icky. Aaaargh. in reply to scalzi 2017-03-21
- That's when Emily invented yet another way to make it difficult for me to get any work done. https://t.co/wek6miM3nT 2017-03-21
- RT @LettersOfNote: On this day in 1976, the Attorney General of Alabama wrote a very short letter to a white supremacist. https://t.co/L9VD… 2017-03-21
- @narratist https://t.co/rMX7b8xFaC 2017-03-21
- What are those things? Can I bite them? #canadagoose https://t.co/ZF98GxmK5d 2017-03-22
- RT @KikkiPlanet: This this this this THIS. #ableg #yeg #yyc #skpoli https://t.co/MNtkfEeKpO 2017-03-23
- RT @WordPress: Please fill out this editing experience survey to influence the future of the WordPress editor. https://t.co/RK6DtzQuVG 2017-03-23
- RT @womensart1: Greenlandic artist Aka Høegh's 'flying whale bones' from legend of the Mother of the Sea exhibition #womensart https://t.co… 2017-03-23
- RT @CPSboat: Safety Equipment Education and #FlareDisposal Days are starting in B.C. on April 1st: https://t.co/A3DGVpcDG3 https://t.co/AHe… 2017-03-23
- Love this: https://t.co/53oZqNMYT6? @littlewhitemoon For Jordan? 🙂 2017-03-25
- RT @BaenBooks: Did you know #Baen puts out dozens of #ebooks for FREE? https://t.co/JaH3sCAWxV 2017-03-25
- RT @theboozephiles: Long Island Ice Tea https://t.co/vQYbyCLAWJ https://t.co/ewtbZnLLdk 2017-03-14
- RT @Nanaimo_YCSS: https://t.co/kZnKDv1z0J 2017-03-14
- RT @theboozephiles: Mandarin Rum Cocktail. Mmmmmmm. https://t.co/hEdvIqeOof 2017-03-14
- RT @lavermeer: So sorry to learn this. Such a talented, witty editor and writer. https://t.co/19fJ4n0D5r 2017-03-15
- RT @MARPAC_FMARP: #HMCSOriole leaves tomorrow for a 168 day & 10,000 NM trip to the east coast for #Canada150 and #RDV2017 https://t.co/pXl… 2017-03-15
- RT @CCG_GCC: #DYK Marine Communications and Traffic Services officers provide one of the 1st responses to vessels in distress? https://t.co… 2017-03-16
- RT @thewordlady: For St Patrick's Day: a #Canadianism we share with #Irish English https://t.co/cTNb7ohX3d 2017-03-17
- RT @NorseMythNews: Happy #StPatricksDay
I thank the nice Irish lads of Thin Lizzy for recording one of the albums that changed my life. Sl… 2017-03-17
- RT @alanalda: My new book on communication launches June 6.
Title: “IF I UNDERSTOOD YOU, WOULD I HAVE THIS LOOK ON MY FACE?”
I’m excited… 2017-03-17
- Ah IKEA. With a hot dog waiting at the end. https://t.co/ZD9gZGoJ1l 2017-03-17
- Three Canada Geese just flew by! Springtime in #yeg 2017-03-18
- RT @DrJayDrNo: So long, #pcaa, and thanks for all the oil. #pcldr #ableg https://t.co/0WLQivw8JW 2017-03-18
- Oh crap. https://t.co/rI9oC9Vcfs
#broughtons #EchoBay 2017-03-05
- RT @theboozephiles: Black & White Russian https://t.co/zpEjD9VWPk https://t.co/FdxFNKV36W 2017-03-06
- RT @CCG_GCC: #CCG responders remain on site with partners to assist with cleanup at @CermaqCan, following diesel spill. https://t.co/ZyzY29… 2017-03-06
- RT @CTVYEGBuzz: CONTEST: RT this pic for a chance to win tickets to The Music of Prince @winspearcentre! @edmsymphony #yeg #symphony #yegmu… 2017-03-08
- This year's wish list – https://t.co/om9jVhcm1Y 2017-03-09
- @littlewhitemoon Like these? Pretty! Need some pics/video soon… https://t.co/WnJYQu8wRk in reply to littlewhitemoon 2017-03-10
- RT @NeWestPress: Interested in working in publishing? We are looking for a skilled Bookkeeper/Administrator for our Edmonton office: https:… 2017-03-10
- RT @CTVNewsVI: #Breaking: Diesel fuel spill reported off Van Island around Port Harvey Marine Resort, Canadian Coast Guard on its way to as… 2017-03-10
- RT @bycurated_: Curated Markets (formerly the Vixens of Vintage) Spring Market #YEG is so excited to welco… https://t.co/JoZ4JaZ4Xh https:/… 2017-03-10
- @design4travel Hey! Lucky you! in reply to design4travel 2017-03-11
- RT @RCN_MARLANT: From the air #HMCSAthabaskan’s final sail escorted by @RCAF_ARC Sea Kings. Thanks for 44 years of distinguished service to… 2017-03-11
Last year around this time I posted up my to do list to get ready for the season. This year, due to having Never for Ever in charter, my actual To Do list will be limited sending the email that commits to our arrival date (hopefully late April) and the boat should be ready to go when we arrive. All we will need to do is grab our gear out of storage and settle in.
But that doesn’t mean I don’t have things I want to do or, more specifically, want to buy. So far our additions to the boat have been rather modest. We picked up a Rocna anchor before we set off, installed a new Sony Media Player the first couple of days aboard, and added a Battery Monitor Kit after we returned from the Broughtons. But other than that we haven’t added much to the boat despite my grand plans. But hopefully, finances willing, I will get to add a few new toys this season.
But the real question is, since we are no longer full-time cruising, how much to invest in this baot and how much to save for our “forever” boat.
First up may or may not be a new windlass. The seals on our old one are shot and in heavy seas water streams down into the front cabin. Not good. But the thing is old enough that parts are a problem. If we can find the parts, well, all is well and good. If not, then we will be in the market for a new windlass.
Then I went through my old wish lists (pre-purchase) and, leaving out the things that came with the boat, compared them to what I want to add after being full time cruisers.
- Generator/100 amp alternator
- Wifi Booster
- Code 0 sail
- Dyson Mini Vac
- Water maker
- Wifi booster (cell phone booster)
- TV and a way to stream to it.
- Range finder (binoculars)
- Stadium Seats
- LED lights (more)
- Stone baking ware
Some things haven’t changed. And some have.
- On-the-hook power is still the number one item we wish we could improve, but no matter how we look at it, it’s a boat buck or two (~$1000–$2000) that I don’t have. And frankly it’s not as big a concern if we aren’t spending months on the boat. Still, a generator would be nice since we could just take it with us if/when we move on to another boat so I keep an eye out on Kijiji to see if there are any good deals. Solar is likely also a non-starter but I am still planning out various scenarios just in case. I’ve abandoned upgrading the alternator since it would mean changing the pulleys, as well as getting a smart regulator on top of the alternator. Solar would almost be cheaper. And frankly I don’t want to do that much motoring anyway.
- Connectivity. We constantly blew over our data plan last year until we wised up and increased it. I am really wishy-washy about this. I figure it’s around $500 all in to set up a booster, antenna and a wireless router. Is that reasonable if we are only sailing two weeks? No. Eight weeks? Probably.
- AIS? I hooked up the Standard Horizon to the chartplotter and now have an AIS receiver; I don’t think a transmitter is necessary at this point. So now #3 is a TV and some way to connect it to my harddrive full of movies. Never for Ever once had a TV mounted on the front bulkhead — the lovely coastal art covers the holes — and it still has a dvd player mounted under the chartplotter. The folks at Cunning Little Plan installed a TV and DVD player converted to 12v and their’s seems like a feasible plan. Call it $225 for the electronics and probably another $50 for hardware and wire. Leslie is against the idea but I think it will add value to the charter and grant us a bit more comfort when we are watching movies.
- Hammock? It’s just fallen off the list for now. Rangefinder Binoculars? I suck at distances in anchorages and love a good pair of binoculars so it seems like an obvious choice— only $200! I think of this item as more of a”special treat” though so I’m pretty sure it won’t be happening unless I come into some “extra” cash.
- Let’s dispense with the rest of the old list (Code Zero sail, Dyson mini-vac and watermaker) by saying “too extravagant, not enough utility.” Stadium seats however are cheaper, more practical and directly add to comfort. We had won a West Marine folding seat at the Hunter Rendezvous and I really like it despite the fact I have wrecked the foam already. A couple more at $80 a pop more would perfect.
- LED lights. Around $20 each we already have at least one LED in each cabin so that’s good enough for now but we should get on with replacing all of them.
- Donna from Northwest Passage had a bunch of stoneware baking pans and I loved them. She got hers from Pampered Chef and I have my eye on at least a nice cookie sheet and a loaf pan (around $40 each)
So what is likely? I think the TV, maybe a couple of LEDs and at least one seat. And as I said I will keep my eye out for a good deal on a generator but being able to stay on the hook for a few extra days only saves me $50/night—it’ll have to be a good deal. The rest will rely on finding the right deal at the right time. Or maybe I’ll save my money and spend it on beer, after all beer is important. Right?.
- RT @FolgerLibrary: Playwright Christopher Marlowe was baptized #onthisday in 1564 (he would have been born a … https://t.co/f6hBaPCRqh http… 2017-02-26
- To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. 2017-02-28
- … Otherwise you are doomed to a routine traverse… Sterling Hayden 2017-02-28
- RT @TheWorksFest: The Works Art Market features #paintings, #photography, #jewelry, #prints &more – all handmade! Apply now! https://t.co/j… 2017-02-28
- RT @archpics: https://t.co/iXODYLVH8e 2017-03-03
- RT @t8nmagazine: Salad rolls look so good! https://t.co/fixaW5yKBG #stalbert #t8n #yeg #yegfood 2017-03-03
- RT @CarterRyanMain: Before/After #carterryanbanff is OPEN!In one very busy month-it came to be (albeit kicking & screaming ?) @CartersArt @… 2017-03-04
- RT @GBechtelWriter: 2/3: . . . a free @CAAAlberta talk by @lavermeer on What Your Book's Editor Wants you to know ( https://t.co/izZrnFtubE )… 2017-02-19
- RT @GBechtelWriter: 3/3: …on Saturday, this month's @CAAAlberta workshop with @lavermeer: Seeing Your Book Through an Editor's Eyes (http… 2017-02-19
- RT @lavermeer: Review: A Day of Signs and Wonders https://t.co/u0T1jqEKtJ https://t.co/AbE7P70JOs 2017-02-21
- RT @EhAuthor: This is too cute not to share. #fantasy #MagicofStorytelling #art https://t.co/OWNUVAxekx 2017-02-21
- Kobo to launch subscriber service…
- Why "readability" isn't such a good thing… https://t.co/uwMzahcyY8 2017-02-22
- RT @historyepics: Some people say modern technology is making us more antisocial… https://t.co/IeVtvevDSV 2017-02-23
- Don't tease the tigers! https://t.co/neZgr7QDGb 2017-02-23
- RT @davecournoyer: We should probably stop referring to them as just private schools, they are publicly-subsidized private schools. #ableg… 2017-02-24
- WIN 2 @clippervacation r/t tix + 2 Nts @fairmontolympic + a @roaddogtours tour via @victoriabuzzes, RT to enter https://t.co/2tDm85gDhi 2017-02-24
- A short video on why you should consider exploring the PNW & chartering our sailboat, Never for Ever, this summer. https://t.co/9ji2ZWk3rx 2017-02-25
- A Tale of Two Videos – https://t.co/nyPU5EOmMe 2017-02-25