7:14 Storm something dammit

Happy Bastille Day!

The morning started, as they often do, with a shower and a cup of coffee. Then it was wait for Ian and our checkout. After he arrived we went through the basics, looked over the generator and electrical and then worked through the electric davit system on the tender. Ian said with the 30 horse outboard a single person could easily get it out on a plane and do around 30 knots; that’s twice the speed of the Ocean Pearl. After we asked a few questions Ian helped us cast off and i gently inched the behemoth out of her slip and down the finger before finally emerging into the channel and a little breathing room.

First up was some docking practice. Boy do I need practice. We headed down to the waste  pumpout and took a bunch of  tries at remembering how to run a twin screw. I nailed it a couple of times but then either the increasing off-the-dock wind or my rapidly increasing pulse pretty much dictated I wasn’t going to be bale to graceful get it at the dock again. So i gave up and headed over to Mark Bay to give a mooring boy a try. We did it stern first off the swim grid and it went smooth as silk.


That accomplished we decided it was time to cruise. We took a look at the charts and since Leslie didn’t want to anchor our first night out and I didn’t want to attempt a crowded marina we headed for Montague Bay and its lovely arrangement of mooring Buoys. We were pretty much on time for transiting Dodd Narrows a bit early  but with the powerboat we didn’t have to be as precise.


After we slipped through the narrows without incidence I opened her up and we were soon zooming along at a little over 17 knots. We were probably burning through rule at 3 or 4 times the normal rate so I dropped it back down to a more sedate 10.5 knots and we motored on to Montague.

Leslie brought her around the point and into the bay while I spotted for empty buoys. We found one or two left (thank goodness) and slowly sidled up to one nice and close to the shore. Once we had everything shut down we dropped the tender, climbed aboard and zoomed off for the provincial park’s dock. What we didn’t do was make a note of our buoy number so we could register and pay for our moorage; that meant another trip back later. Probably a good thing because I also need practice docking the stupid dinghy; I swear its harder to bring along side than the big boats.


We wandered across beaches and oyster beds and then walked over to the other side of the point to look at on Trincomali Channel from the lovely shell beach there. We saw lots of tiny crabs and C was pretty sure she saw a mink loping across the edge of the beach. Fora while we watched an otter fishing or maybe crabbing, but he eventually buggered off when a fisherman brought his boat into the boat ramp. It was a lovely,quiet experience after the stress of the sailing and we spent some time just staring off into the distance. But eventually we headed back to the boat, grabbed the buoy number and backtracked to pay our fees. Then back to the boat of good.





C whipped up a big jug of sangria and we had a lovely evening watching the sun go down and stars come out. After dark had started to settle in, a high speed aluminum boat came zooming in with flashing blue lights. It was an ambulance boat and it raced through the anchorage with wild abandon, coming to a rest at the public docks where we could see an ambulance drive down to meet it. I not sure which way the patient was going.

While this was happening a larger trawler named Seafoam creeped into the anchorage  in the dark and set anchor. Not something I was going to attempt. It was also notable because SeaFoam was one of the sample names in our ROC(M) course so we all had a lot of practice calling her. Right after she settled in the ambulance boat came out of the anchorage not quite as fast as she zoomed it but then opened up as soon as she was clear of the anchored boats. I suspect she was trying to make it back to Ganges (or maybe Victoria?) before it  went pitch black.

As the light fled Leslie tried to show C the phosphorescence in the water but nothing happened. A little later after it was completely dark we tried dragging a rope through the water again and sure enough all the sparkly little fairy lights came out to play. It really is the coolest thing…

View Power Boating 2013 1 in a larger map