Day 13 and 14

Day 13
Day 13 started with a nice breakfast. I can’t really express how nice this place is; high speed internet for cheap, a movie room with free rentals, laundry and more.

Soon we were ready for adventure and a drive around town. We found the SeaDoo place and decided to stop in and see what the deal was. Turns out we could take a tour of Howe Sound for the low low price of around $225. The Grand Howe Sound Adventure was on!

We cruised by the gear shop and the fellow their sold us a copy of Squamish Select, which had most of the local sport climbing in it… unlike the bigger book (The Climber’s Guide to Squamish) I had picked up earlier at the info centre

We returned to the hostel to change and then met back at the dock. Mike, the owner, outfitted us in wetsuits and pfd and led us down to the water. After a short “no throttle” trip down the mouth of the river we opened up to the sound and learned to SeaDoo!
The farmer’s tans were especially attractive!

Mike’s spiel is great and he takes you back and forth across the sound pointing out interesting bits. Along the way you get to play and it is a real hoot. Zak was disappointed as he was a few weeks shy of his 16 birthday which meant he was relegated to passenger only status. At one point we took a dip in the sound…cold but not overly so. By some weird quirk of fate I was the first one to fall off. Zak managed to hang on while I tossed into the water after burying the nose into a wake. Eventually, however, I managed to dump him in.

As we came around one of the islnds we came upon a rocky island filled with sea birds and seals… awesome.

On the way back the water got quite choppy near the mouth of the river and I had to push the limits. Unfortunately Zak’s hands were cold and tired and I dumped him a few too many times. On the last fall he hit the water funny and hurt his ankle. This was a bad end to the trip but didn’t put too much of a damper on the overall excitement we felt.

We said our goodbyes to Mike and Amy and headed out. I decided to run up to Cheakamus Canyon to see where most of the sport climbing was. We drove down teh highway for about 30 minutes till we spootted the turn off and drove up a poor gravel road for another 5 minute. The road opened up to a parking lot and we had arrived.

(Excerpted from climbing log)
We hit Cheakamus Canyon late afternoon and are astonished at the signage, porta-potti and easy access. I bully Zak into setting up at Conroys Castle: Charlotte’s Web a two pitch 5.9 sport. Zak’s ankle is hurting so I lead. The crux beats me and I swing on the draw to make the move. Upon completion of the 1st pitch I rap down and we call it a day.

Later we headed back to the hostel to ice Zak’s ankle and relax for the evening.

Day 14
Well Day 14 stated with a sore Zak and a quick trip to the hospital. His ankle really hurt and I decided better safe than sorry. The hospital was small but nice and we got into the emergency with only a short wait. The Doc said he saw lots of us tourists coming in during our holidays, what with Squamish being a climbing/mountain biking/hiking center. Anyway, Zak’s ankle was pronounced mildly sprained: so that was that. The doctor recommended a brace so we could do some climbing later so we wandered down to the drug store and picked one up.

The rest of the day was basically reading and relaxing. Towards the evening Zak and I decided on a movies so we picked out Death Race 2000. David Carradine and Sly Stallone and their less-than-finest! A classic and it was fun to share it with Zak.
The only other thing of note was a hotly contested crib game in which I double skunked Zak…he never had a chance!